Sunday, October 23, 2016

#10 - Give and It Shall Be Given Unto You

Give and it will be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over. --Luke 6:38 RSV
Banff AB
Banff AB
A few years ago, my friend Shawn gave me money to fix my computer when I was down and out. "God isn't all that organized about handing out wealth," he explained. "So it falls to us to even things out a little. When you have enough, Brenda, don't pay me back. Just pass the extra on."

Two years ago, when I discovered that the Jorgensens, a much-loved elderly couple from my childhood, had no money to replace their totaled truck, I thought of Shawn and knew what I could do. I sent them some money to help them buy a car that would at least get them up and running.

This year it seems my money is going faster than usual, with my kids in and out of one medical emergency after another. On top of that I have to finance a trip to Alberta, Canada, to do research and take care of my own health in a drier climate. But how? After weeks of dither, I finally told myself, "I've prayed about it and I'm convinced God wants me to take this time and to do this project. So I'm not going to worry about it any more. I'll call and book a month at some cabin for me and the kids and see what happens." Which I did.

But when I added up the cost, I nearly fainted. Where was I going to get the money to pay for it all?

In the mail this morning was a registered letter--from the Jorgensens. The check enclosed was enough to pay for the trip. They were up and running, they wrote, and wanted to return my money.

My money? No, God's money. Starting with Shawn, only this time coming full circle back to me, today, with God's wonderful timing.

Dear God, Thank You for opportunities to give, and to receive. And to give again. Help me to keep trusting in Your abundance when funds run thin.


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you'd like to respond or share your own story, use the comment box.