Monday, October 24, 2016

#11: Jumping In To Help

"Brethren, do not be weary in well-doing."
--II Thessalonians 3:13 (RSV)

"What's this?" I asked, stooping to pick up what looked like a pretzel on the rug in front of the fireplace. "And this?" I wailed, gathering up the shattered ceramic pieces of what I now saw to be one of the old-fashioned Santa Clauses I collect.

"Oh, no!"

Blake, my thirteen-year-old son, heard my cry and came running to help pick up the pieces. "Oh, Blake, it's one one of my favorites!"

"Don't worry, Mum!" he declared, slapping me on the back to cheer me up. "I'll glue him back together for you!"

How wonderful it is, I thought, when my children do something nice, all on their own. Such as when I'm making a bed and they come around the other side to tug on the sheet. Or when I'm fixing dinner and they set the table without any prompting. Or when they volunteer to mend a broken ceramic piece!

Can it be any different with God?

Over the next few days, I watched Blake as he painstakingly pieced my little treasure together. The day he presented it to me like something brand new, I decided I wanted to be more like him--offering to do little things that bring others pleasure.

"Hey, Blake," I volunteered one afternoon, "let me do your chores, so you'll have more time for basket ball. Okay?"

Dear God, help me to find ways where I can volunteer instead of waiting to be told. I want to bring pleasure to You and to those You love.
___________

Originally published by Guideposts Daily Devotionals Sat. April 29, 1995.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you'd like to respond or share your own story, use the comment box.