Wednesday, November 2, 2016

#14: Learning To Give Appropriately: My Panda Bear

Each one must do as he has made up his mind, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. --II Corinthians 9:7 (RSV)

1950's Vintage Panda
Could well have been mine.
Panda was my favorite toy when I was five. That Christmas, the fire department collected old toys for poor children. Even though Panda begged me not to give him up, the voice of my Sunday School teacher quietly argued, We never give God what we don't need. We give Him what we love the most.

My hurt worsened as I rode with my mother to City Hall, clutching dear Panda to my chest. “Go ahead,” said a fireman. “Lay your nice little bear right here.” Numb with grief, I laid Panda on top of a rusty truck. A lady with an orange hat dumped a stack of boys' toys on top of Panda, and I rode home heartbroken. But I didn't cry, then or for years; that would have meant I was selfish, and I didn't want to be selfish.

Ten years later I created a wonderful doll from my mother's scrap bag, with a wardrobe to rival Queen Elizabeth's. I took McCall (I'd created her from a McCall's magazine pattern) with me that summer to my grandfather's beach house. I'm not sure when I took it into my head to give her away, or why, but by the time we reached the cabin I knew I would. And when we found the Pattersons, missionaries home on furlough, also at the beach, I knew to whom I would give McCall--the youngest of the five Patterson girls.

“Are you sure you want to give away your doll?” my mother asked. This time I didn't hear my Sunday School teacher. I heard my own heart, saw the little girl and nodded yes. At fifteen, I'd learned what my Sunday School teacher didn't understand: God didn't require me to give away my heart, just to give from my heart. I had made up my mind for myself, and so I could give gladly and freely.

Sometimes I still grieve over Panda. But McCall? I remember her only with joy. She was given from a cheerful heart, freely and without guilt, so there's no room for regret.

Dear God, help me to know my own heart and mind so that I can give appropriate
gifts that bring everyone joy and none of us pain.

Originally published by Guidepost's Daily Devotionals June, Thursday 22, 1995


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you'd like to respond or share your own story, use the comment box.