Tuesday, October 25, 2016

#12: Freedom Gifts: Learning To Let Go

Contributed by my dear friend Nita Maas. Thanks for letting me post it!


Kent
I watched the school door close behind Kent this morning. As I turned to retrace my steps home, I thought how far I had come in realizing Kent is growing up. I had cared for him since he was six weeks old until he was three. Then Brad and Carol and he had left for Japan. Three years there. Three years in Kuwait. Back to Virginia when Kent was nine. No longer three. It hasn't been easy to not be that super-vigilant grandma of the past. It hasn't been easy letting Kent "go."

"Hi," I greeted one of Kent's friend's dads as I caught up with him on the sidewalk. It seemed so natural to tell him what I'd been thinking about. He listened as we walked together. Then he told me how he and his wife were dealing with the "letting go." They had given their daughter a bike. They had given their son a watch with a phone and tracking device. He called them their "freedom gifts."

Freedom gifts!!! My heart leaped up and up and up! Was that what I was giving Kent by not hovering? Was I giving him a freedom gift? Was I helping him grow into the young man he was meant to be?

If I can give Kent that gift of freedom, can I give it to others in my life?

Can I....can I give it to myself?

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you'd like to respond or share your own story, use the comment box.